Holy Cross Lutheran Church Banner Graphic

 

The Lutheran Church

The Lutheran Church is part of the one, holy, Christian and Apostolic church established by Jesus Christ. We trace our history back to the time of the New Testament and confess the biblical doctrines summarized in the Apostles' Creed.

Lutheranism as a movement within the Christian Church is traditionally dated as beginning on October 31, 1517, the day the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther posted the 95 theses to the door of the castle church in Wittenberg, Germany protesting abuses he felt existed in the church of that day.

Today, Lutherans form the largest group among the Protestant bodies. There are more than 80 million baptized Lutherans in the world of which close to 9 million live in North America.

Holy Cross Lutheran Church is part of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod (LC-MS) began in 1839 when a group of German Lutheran immigrants left the province of Saxony Germany, searching for religious freedom in the new world. Arriving in New Orleans, the group went up the Mississippi River to the state of Missouri where they settled and formed several communities.

From a humble beginning, the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod has grown to a church body of over 2.6 million of all different races and ethnic backgrounds.

Our national headquarters is in St. Louis. At the present time, the Reverend Matthew Harrison is president of our church body. Locally, we (Holy Cross) are a part of the Southeastern District of the LC-MS. Our district office is in Alexandria, Virginia. The Reverend John Denninger is president of the district.